Essential documents for selling your home

Be sale-ready with Chadwells handy list of essential documents:

Building Regulations Certificates

If alterations and extensions have been carried out on your property, it will help your sale to proceed more smoothly if you can show at the outset that these have been added legally and with approval.

Energy Performance Certificate

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for a property is a legal requirement. The EPC provides information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs as well as recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money. An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and it is valid for 10 years. We can arrange to have an EPC produced for you at a very competitive rate. Contact us for more details.

Money Laundering Checks

Under the Money Laundering Regulations 2003 estate agents are obliged to obtain evidence of your identity and residence. You will need to provide original copies of one document from List A and one document from List B to your estate agent.

List A – Evidence of Identity

  • Full Valid Passport
  • Full Driving Licence
  • A Valid Identity Card (HM Forces, Police warrant card, prison officer
  • Government/Local Authority issued)
  • Birth Certificate/Marriage Certificate
  • A firearm or shotgun certificate

List B – Evidence of Residence

  • Inland Revenue tax notification
  • self-assessment statement or tax demand
  • An original utility bill less than three months old
  • Original council tax bill less than three months old
  • An original council rent book showing rent paid for the last three months
  • An original mortgage statement for the mortgage accounting year just ended
  • An original statement for either your current bank or building society account or credit card account

Copies of bills are ideal so that potential buyers can estimate running costs.

They should include

  • Council Tax bills
  • Utility bills
  • Buildings and Contents Insurance Bills
  • Service Charges and Ground Rent Bills – (for apartments or flats)

We are required to have a copy of your lease in our office if you live in a leasehold property. For consumer protection, we have to view the lease and give a potential buyer the chance to view the lease before they submit an offer. When providing us with information about your home it’s imperative that you are aware of Consumer Protection Legislation 2008. This means that any material information that may change a potential buyer’s decision to not only buy your home but also whether to view must be made apparent to them upfront. This can include previous subsidence, risk of flooding, and neighbourly disputes.